Always ask the following questions to assess your relevancy to any organization you join. Whether it is a political office or board appointment, are you the right person for the job:
- What value in terms of skills, experience, and networks do I bring on the table?
- After my term in office, what organization achievements will be identified with me?
- Considering the nature of the organization and its competitive environment, which kind of leadership is needed and how do I help fix it?
- I am the best person for this role or I am just being rewarded by the appointing authority?
- Do I have the time and energy to meet the expectations of the stakeholders?
- Who are my colleagues? Do I substitute or complement their skills and experience?
Asking and answering the above questions before accepting any appointment will make you a better member of the team you join than most people. If you don’t know the value you bring on the table, then why accept the appointment?
Take every appointment as a responsibility, not an opportunity to earn money.
Copyright Mustapha B Mugisa, 2019. All rights reserved.