Today, Uganda has registered the highest number of COVID-19 cases at 318 in a single day.
The breakdown of the cases is as follows;
- Amuru Prisons: 154 (153 inmates, 1 prison staff)
- Contacts and Alerts (136) : Kampala -65, Kiryandongo-14, Gulu-9, Mbarara-9, Kitgum-8, Arua-8, Wakiso-7, Mbale-4, Buikwe-4, Masaka-2,
- Bugiri-1, Jinja-1, Luweero-1 Manafwa 1, Masindi 1, Mityana 1
- Health workers (20): Kitgum 9, Kampala 6, Arua 2, Adjumani 1, Kiryandongo 1, Luweero 1
- Truck drivers (8): Malaba 3, Busia 2, Mpondwe 1, Oraba 1, Madi Opei 1
We also recorded one (1) COVID-19 death, a 49 year old male from Mbale District, bringing the total cumulative COVID-19 deaths to 20.
The cumulative number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Uganda is 2,166
Currently, the Kampala Metropolitan Area has the highest numbers of community transmission.
A cumulative total of 540 COVID-19 cases have been reported in Kampala since the 23rd March. Of these, 342 cases were registered within the last one week, from 15th August to 21st August 2020 including 5 COVID-19 deaths.
Several institutions including; Malaysia Furnishing, Royal Pharma, Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, IGG, KCCA, Toyota, NRM Secretariat, Eagle Holdings, Megha Industries, media houses (New Vision, NBS,NTV, BBS) and other private hospitals have reported clusters
This highlights the need to ensure that workplaces strictly observe the Standard Operating Procedures and Infection, Prevention and Control measures to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Copyright Mustapha B Mugisa, 2020. All rights reserved.