Staff are the number one resource. How do you make the most of them? You need to agree on clear specifications.
2) Fair pay
3) Career development
4) Support achieve their dreams. Being supported financially. Give them a direction to win at the job and in their lives.
What employers want:
1) A competent professional, who is skilled and practical. Someone who provides a hand to fix what needs to be fixed without first being asked to do so
2) Someone who self-starts. Is conscious. Takes the initiative to do the right thing not to wait to be reminded.
3) A person who is trustworthy and has the right attitude.
4) A reasonable person, who works time NOT outcomes.
You can see someone special by how they use company assets. Does someone take time to bring to the attention of finance and admin a company furniture item that is about to break-off, or they look on and ignore as if all is fine?I have noted that great staff is always standout. They are respectful, trustworthy and skilled. They know what to do and how to it. They understand the business and don’t wait to be reminded. Click To Tweet
For a win, win situation, the employer should provide clear measurable expectations to the employee at the beginning.
State clear targets at the start of the probation period. Avoid as much as possible ‘political’ style job descriptions.
A good employer must spend a lot of time finding and recruiting the best staff and retaining them. And letting the mediocre staff go. A certain level of staff turnover is acceptable.
Copyright Mustapha B Mugisa, 2020. All rights reserved.